In fastpitch softball, pants are an integral part of your uniform and it’s not just because you can be arrested for indecent exposure without it.
Joking aside, fastpitch softball pants protect your body when you slide around the bases, and it also completes the look of the entire uniform.
But to maximize the benefits, you’ll need to pick the right girls fastpitch softball pants in the right size.
So here are some factors you need to consider when you buy your pants for the game:
If you’re in a rush…
Fastpitch Softball Pants Material
One of the most important considerations in buying a pair of girls’ fastpitch pants is the fabric used.
They have to be tough and durable, because you’re going to be sliding around the bases when you get a hit.
And stealing bases is allowed, although a few rules may differ from regular baseball.
It should also deal with perspiration well.
Remember, softball is mostly played in the summer, and your exertions under the hot sun will certainly cause you to perspire a lot.
What you don’t want is a pair of pants that look wet when you perspire.
In general, softball pants are made with either polyester or nylon. But some use a cotton blend with both of these fabrics.
Polyester. This fabric is quite popular in sports. It has proven to be very strong and long-lasting, so it can stand the rigors of games quite well.
Polyester is a synthetic fabric that retains only 0.4% of moisture. Cotton retains at least 7%, which is about 18 times as much as polyester.
That means it’s also great if a light shower comes down. And it’s even easy to wash.
Dirt doesn’t seem to bind well with polyester threads. Polyester is also heat-resistant, so it doesn’t feel all that warm even when the hot sun is beating down.
Nylon is also synthetic and it’s usually more expensive than polyester. But that’s because it’s more durable and weather-resistant.
It’s tougher than nylon but polyester is more resistant to heat.
Then there are the cotton blends with polyester and/or nylon. Cotton offers breathability, while the synthetic fabrics offer the much needed toughness.
Padding on Girls Fastpitch Softball Pants
To protect you from pain and injury, proper pants need padding for problem areas like the backside and the knees.
This is quite important even for youth fastpitch softball pants, because you want younger players to develop good game habits (like sliding) without fear of getting hurt.
This is a hit-or-miss problem, because brands tend to have their own sizing ideas.
One brands XL may be another brand’s L. Hopefully, you can find a brand’s sizing chart so you can get the right fit after you measure your inseam, thigh, and waist.
It’s always a good idea to try out a pair of pants first before you buy it. It should feel comfortable, while it also allows you to move freely.
Most of the time, they’re belted. Women’s pants should come in different cuts compared to the men’s version.
The most popular cut for women don’t reach up to the shoes.
They only go a few inches past the knees, and that means you’ll need somewhat knee-high socks to complete the look.
A lot of pants are usually light in color (white or light gray), but you can get it to coordinate with your top when you get fastpitch softball pants with piping.
The piping is that thin line that runs down on the outer side of your pants.
It looks good and makes you look like a serious player. And you can choose the color of the piping to match the color of your top.
Top 3 Girls Fastpitch Pants Reviews
So now that you have a clue on what to look for, here are some examples of highly rated pants:
- 100-Percent polyester double knit
- Low rise fit exclusive for women
- Performance Plus padding
- 2 set-in back pockets
- Tunnel belt loop waist
Mizuno Select Belted Low Rise. This is one of the bestsellers in the softball pants niche, and it’s easy to see why.
It’s made of 100% double-knit polyester which offers guaranteed toughness, with “Performance Plus” padding for the backside that really protects you when you slide.
There’s also a double later for the knees for added protection.
It comes with a tunnel belt-loop waistband that keeps the fabric from wrinkling when you tighten the belt. And it even has 2 pockets at the back for your gloves.
- Lightweight HeatGear fabric wicks sweat to keep you cool, dry & comfortable
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Durable double layer fabric at the knee with cinched elastic hem detail
- Two back pockets
- Under Armour’s mission is to make all athletes better through passion, design and the relentless pursuit of innovation
Under Armour Women’s Cropped Pants. The history of Under Armour demonstrates a lot of emphasis on player comfort, and that foundational principle is evident in these pants.
Its vaunted HeatGear® fabric comes with the signature Moisture Transport System, which wicks your perspiration away through the polyester fabric to keep you dry and comfy.
The polyester fabric is quite tough, and it offers a double layer for the knees along with cinched elastic hem detail.
You can also wear underwear and sliding shorts underneath. It even has anti-odor technology. It’s also very easy to wash, and dirt comes off after just one washing.
There’s internal elastic on the waistband, and it features zip and button front closure along with two patch pockets at the back.
There’s no large size, but the XS, small, and medium sizes do run a bit large anyway.
- Low-rise waistband with draw-cord
- Sewn-down, set-in back pockets
- 100% Polyester
- 22 inch inseam
Easton Girls’ Zone. This form-fitting pair of pants suits inseams ranging from 21.5 inches (small) to 24 inches (XL).
They’re very suited for small or young players, but the stretch material can accommodate bigger players comfortably.
It’s 100% polyester, and packed with lots of microfiber technology. The Bio-Dri technology wicks away the moisture to keep you dry and comfortable.
It also has UV protection. It’s also resistant to stains to avoid any embarrassing wet spots.
For a better fit, it has a low-rise elastic waistband with a draw cord you can adjust to make it sit comfortably. At the back, you also have a pocket sewn in for your gloves or mini-towel.
These are all good choices, and they’re quite affordable too.
Just make sure to get it in the right size, as customers who pick the wrong size are the most common source of negative reviews for these softball pants.
Want To See More Girls Fastpitch Pants?
If you didn’t see anything above you like in the top 3 then check out these additional options below.
These are all top rated with plenty of positive customer reviews.
- 100% Polyester 8oz. Double knit
- Low-rise fit with elastic bottom
- Double layered knees
- 2-Set in back pockets
- Word mark gripper elastic waistband with drawcord
- DRYLITE: Using a dual filament yarn construction to transport excess moisture away from the body to create a comfortable and dry body microclimate for best performance.
- Low rise fit exclusive for women
- Double Knit: Lightweight and durable fabric construction
- Tunnel-belt loop waist
- Fly front with extended two-snap closure
- SHOW YOUR PROWESS with Easton's Women's Prowess Pants
- DESIGNED FOR FEMALE PLAYERS, this pant is engineered with polyester knit fabric with four-way stretch mesh inserts for the ultimate in fit and mobility
- EASTON BRANDED TWO-COLOR WAISTBAND has silicone grippers to keep your jersey in place
- DOUBLE REINFORCED KNEES with a custom engineered cuff that are built to last
- YOUTH & ADULT SIZING: These pants are available in all youth and adult sizes so that you can pick the perfect fit for you
- Lightweight, durable, performance fabric built for gameday comfort
- UA Microthread technology in the fabric dries faster, won't cling & stretches without absorbing sweat
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Mesh panels at back of leg for added breathability
- Seven belt loops, working fly & double front enclosure
- Low rise belted softball pant
- Zipper fly front with belt loops
- 150 cloth with 2-way stretch: 100% polyester circular knit
- Gel grip branded waistband with belt loops
- Enhanced mechanical stretch polyester fabric
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API