When you’re trying to get a hit in fastpitch softball and the ball is traveling at 60mph, what you really need is confidence.
You should feel comfortable holding the bat, you feel safe knowing your hands won’t get blisters or stinging vibrations, and you also know when you swing you’ll have a secure grip.
You get all those when you get the right fastpitch softball batting gloves.
Batting Gloves for Fastpitch Softball vs. Baseball
Is there really a difference between fastpitch batting gloves and baseball batting gloves?
On the face of it, there really shouldn’t be.
In fact, a lot of very good gloves are explicitly marketed for both softball and baseball. These gloves offer benefits for both baseball and softball players.
But the reality is that for baseball, the players are predominantly men.
Women don’t get to play much baseball. It’s different for fastpitch softball on the other hand, where there are lots of women’s leagues.
And so because of the gender differences, that means there’s an inherent difference in the girl batting gloves as well.
In general, baseball batting gloves are larger, and their colors are more subdued and masculine. There’s a preponderance of black, gray, and white gloves.
On the other hand, the women’s softball batting gloves will tend to be smaller, and there’s a lot more color options going on.
Gender bias or not, batting gloves for fastpitch softball seem to have a lot of pink and neon colors available.
What to Look For in Fastpitch Softball Batting Gloves
If you’re trying to find the best fastpitch softball batting gloves, it is best to relegate color as one of the least important features you should be looking for.
Instead, here are the features you should be checking for instead:
Comfort. This is perhaps the most important factor in women’s batting gloves.
This is about getting the right fit, feel, and softness.
Any discomfort you may feel can distract you from getting a hit when you’re at the plate.
You must be comfortable holding your bat.
Tack. This is the sticky substance that’s usually found along the palms and fingers.
These are on the surfaces that get into contact with the ball, and the tack helps you get a secure grip.
Form-fitting. A loose pair of batting gloves will give you a loose grip, which by the way is just plain dangerous.
But you don’t want gloves so tight that they cut off your circulation.
So what you need are gloves which feel just a little bit tight when they’re new, because they’ll loosen up over time.
Hand protection. You may want to look at some gloves with padding, because these can protect your hands from the vibrations traveling through the bat when you mishit the ball.
It may also protect your hands from an errant pitch.
Lightweight. Softball (and baseball for that matter) is generally a summer game, so you don’t really need to wear bulky gloves that can make you feel uncomfortable with all that weight.
You only need thicker gloves if you’re playing in cold conditions.
Breathability. This feature keeps your hands from sweating too much inside the gloves.
Also, the gloves dry out faster. You may also want to look for moisture-wicking properties.
Durability. This is mostly about the stitching material used.
If they’re tough, then you won’t have to keep buying new batting gloves every year, unless you’re still growing.
Aesthetics. This is all about the looks.
There are lots of options, so you can probably find some that match your team’s color. You can also get them in your favorite color if you want.
There’s also the matter of leather vs. synthetic gloves
Leather ages well, and it can provide excellent performance. And many people just like the feel of it. But they do need to be broken in, because at first they can be quite stiff.
On the other hand, synthetic gloves don’t need a break-in period and they offer great flexibility especially for the thumbs, fingers, and knuckles.
They’re also more breathable, and some models have moisture-wicking properties to keep your hands dry.
The Best Fastpitch Softball Batting Gloves
So which brands and models of batting gloves should you get? Here are some of your better options:
DeMarini CF Batting Gloves Fastpitch Batting Gloves. These use both leather and synthetic so you get the best of both worlds.
They offer superb performance and durability, while the vents offer sweet breathability.
These are quite popular, and it comes with lots of eye-catching colors.
- o Breathable four-way stretch mesh backhand
- o Sheepskin palm allows for enhanced comfort
- o Lycra gussets for flexibility
- o Neoprene cuff makes in-game adjustments easier
- o TECH6 Grip Liner minimizes movement between your hand and the glove
EvoShield Standout Fastpitch Batting Gloves. This offers superb performance, as it comes with the Premium Embossed sheepskin leather which allows for strong grip and a superior feel.
Customers really love the stickiness and variety of color selection.
There’s no doubting the grip with these gloves, especially with its snug fit.
It’s also lightweight, and it comes in a variety of colors such as navy, white, royal, red and pink.
- SHOK-SORB PROTECTION: Our unique SHOK-SORB palm padding system absorbs impact and eliminates sting
- IMPROVED GRIP: Constructed from high performance genuine leather designed to help hitters maintain superior grip and bat control in all weather conditions
- TRI-CURVE TECHNOLOGY: All Franklin batting gloves are uniquely engineered to follow the pre-curved anatomy of the human hand. This reduces bunching and improves fit, feel, and performance
- MESH VENT TECHNOLOGY: These batting gloves are made with mesh vented handbacks for improved air flow to keep your hands cool and dry when hitting
- PRO QUALITY: Made with durable, premium quality leather designed to resist bunching and tearing season after season
Franklin Sports MLB Shok-Sorb X Softball Batting Gloves . These are the gloves chosen by many softball players at the highest level including USA softball.
It’s padded for extra comfort and protection, while the leather offers great feel and durability.
It’s ergonomically shaped so your hands move normally, and you get a better range of motion and have the flexible air vents for breathability.
- Method for choosing the size,According to palm circumference not including thumb,refer to left size chart.
- Centimeter data has less deviation than inch data
- Anti-slip silicone finger print for superior grip(Not anti-slip when wet); hook and loop closure cuff design makes gloves easy to wear and take off; padded palm for shock absorption; palm and side finger perforations for extra ventilation.
Seibertron B-A-R PRO 2.0 Fastpitch Batting Glove. On the palm you have synthetic leather, which provides durability, grip, and plush comfort.
At the back of the hands the synthetic material offers 4-way stretch for a snug fit, as well as moisture management for comfort.
Then you have synthetic overlays for additional support, grip, and structure, while still maintaining the flexibility.
You even have palm-side finger perforations for better breathability. Even the wrist closure is contoured for a more comfortable fit.
- Synthetic palm provides durability & grip
- HeatGear fabric with 4 way stretch for a cool, comfortable feel
- Perforated synthetic overlays add support & durability
- Finger perforations for added breathability
- Elastic cuff provides wrist support & a locked in feel
Under Armour Women’s Radar Softball Gloves. You get this in 10 different colors.
Customers comment at how great they actually fit.
But you may not mind that at all, since it also offers flex zones for better range of motion, an elastic wristband and ventilated mesh for comfort, plus leather in the palm with synthetic cover.
Any of these choices are excellent, and they look cool too.
Put them on, feel them out, and take a few swings with them.
Just get some fastpitch softball batting gloves with the right fit, and see how well you swing afterwards!
Last update on 2024-03-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API